« Home | 'Cuz it's not my country » | Oh, and... » | Double the fun » | I don't tend to read Salon » | From inside the house » | He's right, you know... » | Yeah, right » | What you want » | Get your own sandwich » | Unsafe at any speed » 

Wednesday, February 25, 2004 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Skyway

I feel like shit this morning. Not emotionally or mentally, just physically. K. got a cold somewhere, and although that sort of thing effects me a lot less than it does her, it's still a contributing factor. My throat feels coated with sludge. A lack of sleep headache is settling down in the back of my head. I feel grouchy.

One of the quasi-random MP3s I've accumulated over the years is 'Skyway' by the Replacements. It's from Pleased To Meet Me, one of their later albums, and it's not noisy garage sludge. It's just acoustic, Paul Westerberg and his guitar and a few subliminal strings fading in and out in the background. Like a lot of Westerberg's best songs, it's partially about unrequited love. But mostly it's about this skyway. An elevated sidewalk of some sort, above a one-way street. Westerberg walks through it every day. And then,

Oh, then one day
I saw you walking down that little one-way
Where I catch my ride most every day
There wasn't a damn thing I could do or say
Up in the skyway


He's sealed off in his little bubble; after weeks of wondering if he'd meet this person, she appears down below. I'm certainly not feeling anything approaching the level of yearning this lovely little song has, but I do feel sealed off this morning. And will continue to feel that way until I properly wake up.

If only I liked coffee...

-----



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates