« Home | Fucking hell » | Winning streak » | Postscript » | Bite the dust » | Hmm » | "this refusal to recognize the transcendance of fl... » | Know when to walk away » | Merit badges » | First we take Picassos... » | "The photographer was the abuser" » 

Saturday, May 15, 2004 

Alright, now I'm pissed off

Not at people, but at that movie.

I wrote this in response to this post at Christa's blog (which is going in my links as soon as I update them):

"Oh, but Aaron, the movie did far, far more than that. I think Christa is entirely correct about the possible uses of myth, but Troy doesn't just change some details of the Homeric epic, the movie rips out its still beating heart (and if you doubt it still beats, read a good translation) and shows a profound ignorance towards the very real forces that shaped the way the Greeks and Trojans thought.

The reason the Iliad and the Odyssey have survived in something at least trying to approximate their ancient forms is that there is still something there that is significant and moving and powerful, and "Troy" slaughtered it.

Which isn't a big deal, except that for most of the population, that's what they're going to think Homer is like. And that is a damned shame.

I mean, K. and I enjoyed the movie as pure cheese, but it was also the movie I've most enjoyed hating in recent memory."

(modified for html and to remove a typo)



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates