« Home | Live from the Grad Lounge » | Ain't wasting time no more » | Holy fucking shit dept. » | Read what I read » | Returningpuppy » | Photoriffic » | Always the last to know » | Ha ha ha I suck » | He's losing it » | Thin white duke » 

Wednesday, July 14, 2004 

Differences of opinion

So I'm reading this week's Time (maybe next week's newstand edition - the Ontarion has a subscription), and the letters are mostly about Clinton and his new book. Its interesting how neatly they divide along a philosophical rather than political point; you have those who believe that "transgression, suffering and humility" (to quote one letter) is how human beings mature, grow and improve, and those that believe that everything you've ever done wrong is proof that you are not a good person. Or, those that believe in the mutability of the essential self, and those who believe it's constant.

My sympathies are with the former group, and I do think Clinton did a mostly good job, but in my opinion if you are the leader of a country and you perjure yourself (even if the court in question shouldn't be asking about the subject in the first place), you should be impeached. Period.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates