« Home | Cheese and feces » | On a roll » | The Floating World: Elbow » | Crap » | No big deal » | Need a little time to wake up » | Wow » | Day late, dollar short » | Best Song Ever (As of This Minute) Dept. » | Also » 

Thursday, August 05, 2004 

Elbow update

I'm listening to Asleep At The Back now, and I think maybe half my problem with the album as a whole is the fact that 'Any Day Now' (as good as it is), opens the disc. You're pulled in slowly - with 'Ribcage' once I'd heard it a few times the beginning made me anticipate the highs to come, whereas 'Any Day Now' would make a better closer (and coming after 'Scattered Black And Whites' it would have packed even more of a punch). Imagine if 'Red' had opened the disc! That shuffling drum and that piano riff!

Anyway, another thing I like about Elbow that I forgot to mention is that their lyrics are make good use of homophones (think I've got that right). Until I'd read the lyrics sheet I didn't know whether 'Any Day Now' referred to "some of my youth" or "sum of my youth", and similarly on Cast Of Thousands with have 'Crawling With Idiot' and "Your/you're blue collar pride / And your/you're white cotten cool". In each case it was interesting to note the "correct" answers, but crucially either (or both) would have done.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates