« Home | Ugh » | Train wreck? » | The horrible, burning shame » | Brutal » | Curse you, Scalzi! » | RAT BRAIN FLIES JET » | Huh? » | Progress » | Just fucking stop » | Be excellent to each other » 

Friday, December 10, 2004 

Fuck censorship

So, on the advice of Josh Love (#4, near the bottom) I went to go find the video for Ghostface's "Run" (you can get it here). The song is indeed genius (both for THAT HAT and the fact that I defy you to give me a better example of sweaty desperation in pop music all year), but the stuff that got bleeped out was fucking stupid.

Okay, when Ghostface says "if you're selling drugs in the school zone", I guess I can see the rationale, but the key line in the chorus is the shouted out "Cops got - Guns!". They took out the word "guns".

I mean, what the fuck? Cops do have guns, it's not like he's fucking lying or something. And not only is the word inoffensive, it neuters the song entirely to yank it out. Pity.

They bleeped "guns?" How very unamerican of them. Next thing you know they'll be censoring the "cars," "latte," and "preventative war."

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates