« Home | Delicate balance » | WWDBD? » | Work radio dept. » | Ego war » | Sudden revelation, part two » | Expect delay » | Sudden revelation » | Breaking legs and picking pockets » | Show us our homes » | Stop! » 

Friday, December 23, 2005 

I am the best seventeen-year-old ever

Just listened to The Meadowlands while wrapping presents (if you don't know about it already, Ryan Schrieber actually got it right, except for futzing up some song titles, and I don't say that very often), and I maintain that anyone who listens to "She Sends Kisses" or "13 Months In 6 Minutes" (with liners in hand so you can make out what Charles is singing) and is capable of not tearing up a little is a monster.

But also, while reshelving the album I noticed for the very first time that the back has an interesting typo. Although the song title inside and in the lyrics are both correct, on the back "Everyone Choose Sides" is called "Everyone Chooses Sides".

I wouldn't change the song itself one iota, but I kind of wish that was what it was actually called. It feels significant, for whatever reason.

Yes, indeed, I love this album.

Gushing fanboy moment: Man, have you seen them live? They're incredibly fantastic live.

I have never heard them. In fact, since I've read so much about them, this album and their legal difficulties, I find myself caring less. This may have to do with the indie rock establishment blanket endorsement, but it may also be the fact that Philly's always had The Lilys to satisfy these urges.

Boy, am I ever familiar with that sensation. Not in reference to the Wrens (clearly), but I've definitely gotten less interested in bands in inverse proportion to how much everyone tries to tell me they're great before.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates