« Home | I'm an addict » | It's all right to shake, to fight, to feel » | Winter arrives for ever and ever » | "Though some see Canada as cold and remote" » | Sexy time explosion » | Television rots your brain » | When it's hot I'd like to die » | Secret histories » | "the psychology of the players" » | Empathising and systemising » 

Friday, June 23, 2006 

Criticism is a reaction as well as an explanation

Absolutely fantastic post by John Scalzi on why there is no Lester Bangs or Pauline Kael of video games - yet. Any of my music criticism writing brethren owe it to themselves to check this out, particularly points 3 (the difference between review and criticism) and 6 (why certain art forms/genres get good criticism; the essentially defensive nature of a lot of it; the origin of rockism) - it's not just the fact that he uses music criticism as an example that makes it relevant. I'm on my way out of the door, but I'll expand on this later.

Pauline Kael...she hated Kubrick. That automatically relegates her to the dust heap for me. I never liked her columns anyway.

I think Klostermann (and Scalzi) are more using her of an example of type rather than quality, although they certainly both like her more than you do.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates