« Home | Hilarity ensues » | A modern hero » | A bad week for directors » | Mom says I'm helping » | Had a speech prepared and everything » | Bing bang boom » | It's you, and it's me » | Bracing » | Steeling myself » | Wow » 

Saturday, August 04, 2007 

Nice things about my job

1. My boss telling other people yesterday how he basically didn't have to train me at all, I just knew how to do the job (repeatedly), and that he thinks I'm ready to get a key to the store (which comes with a raise) soon.

2. Being able to take a half hour break in the back, which despite being separated from the chaos of the store by one thin wall seems very calm and peaceful, especially as I've been reading Invisible Cities during said breaks, eating my homemade, relatively healthy lunch.

3. The fact that I don't work with anyone who's uptight, incompetant or a jerk.

4. The eight year old kid who started spontaneously dancing when I put this on a few weeks ago. You should have seen the smile on his face.

Is this your first run on "Invisible Cities"? I've probably read it ten or twelve times in the past 15 years. An absolute classic.

And everyone should be required to dance to Booker T whenever it is on. We need sensible laws like that.

Glad the job is going well.

Your job sounds like one of my old jobs...actually the old job where Anthony M. took my place after I got promoted. Those half hour breaks began as opportunities to either read or watch a random episode of TV on DVD for me. Lifesaver for real.

Yeah, it's my first run through and predictably enough I love(d) it. It's not really like Borges, but it's beautiful in the same sort of way and I love Borges. I've got If on a winter's night a traveller... sitting around too, and the used book store nearby has a bunch of Calvino I might try to pick up.

Blackmail! Haven't heard from you in ages, hope all is well. I didn't actually know you and Anthony M used to work together, but yours sounds a little fancier - we definitely don't have any TVs back there.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates