« Home | I hate needles, and this isn't helping. » | Yes, but then again, no. On the whole, I think I ... » | Science once again confirms something that intuiti... » | Another fine article from the weekly Ideas section... » | I hate humans. » | "Shitty Mussolini" would be a good name for a punk... » | Oh, sure, this whole Iraq thing will go off withou... » | This should be a fim rebuke to those hysterical ab... » | Went to see Godspeed last night and picked up this... » | Good article, but a shitty ending. » 

Tuesday, April 01, 2003 

I discovered this webcomic yesterday, and although I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the 600-odd strips, I'm astounded. The strip itself is, on the whole, a bit twee for me, but the sheer amount of background information Reitz has created for her world (we're talking physics, cosmology, languages, mathematics, social structures, history, games, ecology, and so on and so on) impresses the hell out of me. The strip isn't bad, it just has several baseline assumptions about things that I don't agree with (although the complete lack of anything resembling homophobia is a nice change). I'm more than willing to overlook the areas that the strip doesn't do it for me in exchange for the chance to submerge myself pretty completely in such a consistently worked out fictional world. That sort of thing doesn't come along often enough.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates