« Home | So I just learned that, acoording to this, the #1 ... » | Of course, while Israel are not the evil Empire, t... » | To quote one of Atom's songs: The Palestinians ar... » | I'll stop linking to Parish's NES article when eit... » | Excellent comedy at Something Awful today. In cas... » | Boy, I sure hope that fucker is dead. » | Jesus. Even though I probably own a fair bit of w... » | It's a mark of my respect for Marcello Carlin's wr... » | I really liked Mclusky Do Dallas, so I found both ... » | I keep hearing the new Manitoba album being referr... » 

Thursday, April 17, 2003 

I have to thank The Minor Fall, The Major Lift for recommending Nobody's Perfect to me (at least, I think they recommended it). When I used to work in my hometown's library I would spend a fair amount of time perusing the reviews section of the New Yorker, and I had always assumed that the magazine had a dictintive voice. It turns out that it was just mostly Lane. As I make my way through the book, he steadily ascends into my pantheon of truly great critics, adding more force to my recent conversion from the idea that criticism exists merely to help people to the idea that it is truly an art unto itself. If I had a spare $50 sitting around, I would definitely buy the book rather than just borrowing it from the library.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates