« Home | The title of this article just slays me. » | Land of the free, home of the brave. » | I've been feeling blue And I don't know what to do... » | The really sad thing about this is that most of th... » | Interesting take on copyright infringement. » | Slow news day; I'm just listening to Singles Going... » | Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Out Of Time It is w... » | The fuck? And why do I hear about this from the O... » | Paging L. Ron Hubbard... » | I like wombats. » 

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 

Now, this makes perfect sense to me. I liked Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant more than most, and honestly didn't (and still don't) understand the more scathing critiques leveled at it. It was far less twee than their previous efforts, which maybe didn't play well, but worked well. 'The Chalet Lines' was fragile, not twee. 'There's Too Much Love' was sarcastic, not twee. 'Nice Day For A Sulk' was, yes, twee, but it was also the first time the band explicitly poked fun at itself. Songs like 'Don't Leave The Light On Baby' show that B&S are finally integrating the classic (not retro, not really) stylings of singles like 'Legal Man' and 'Lazy Line Painter Jane' into their album work. Yes, 'Beyond The Sunrise' is a bit shit (screams b-side to me, at least), but it was portentous, not twee. The other ten songs are uniformly strong and represent a progression in sound, if not necessarily in style. I'm hoping Horn will complete that progression on the new album rather than backsliding(except for 'Big John Shaft', the Storytelling soundtrack wasn't much cop). I love Belle & Sebastian's earlier material, but having them grow up and progress into actual full-fledged pop songwriters seems to me to be a good thing rather than a bad one. Right now, it seems I'm in the minority.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates