« Home | Parasites » | Good ol' Jones Soda » | Delay » | In other Stylus news » | Working for the weekend » | Hey Apple users » | At least they have good taste » | Fuckers, each and every one of them » | Iggy's aroused cock » | Fucking snobs » 

Thursday, November 27, 2003 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Don't Fight It, Feel It

A little late, sorry. The pressure on me from various things, mostly work related, has been enormous. Today I sat down, wrote a paper, and listened to music. And occasionally took wonderful dips into Neal Stephenson's even-better-than-the-hype Snow Crash, but that's beside the point. One of the albums I have turned to for comfort in this dark time (although I feel much better now, thanks) has been Primal Scream's masterpiece Screamadelica.

I tend to think of that record as amorphous, and none fits that better, nor my current mood of relaxation, than the great 'Don't Fight It', Feel It'. That wonderful chirping sound, a female vocalist declaring that she will "live the life I love/I'm gonna love the life I live" - yes, I think I'll just ease back in my easy chair with the Ferro Rochers K. has bought me, a can of A&W Rootbeer, Snow Crash, and just unwind. It's not just party music, it's soothing, life-affirming music. That the Scream's other masterpieces are so different in tone is a thing of wonder.

-----



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates