« Home | He likes me, he really likes me. Or at least he d... » | Occam's Razor » | That was unexpected » | Dear Catastrophe Waitress » | Yecch » | Why I love Joe Panzner » | The future is now » | It's alive » | Oh, fuck it. » | Facts and figures » 

Wednesday, November 19, 2003 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: On To You

Oh Lord, forgive me, for I have sinned.

I have committed the cardinal sin of music reviewing: I have reviewed an album before it's time. I have willfully not given some music it's proper chance to worm it's way into my heart. I have forsaken a band I liked, and I have been painfully reminded that my forsaking is out there for all to see. Hell, Metacritic excerpted the line "strongly, boringly decent" from my review. The shame. The constant shame.

For Lord, I have seen the light. Verily, I now am forcefully reminded that as much as I like their records (and yea, Shine A Light hath grown on me like a pleasent rash) the Contantines most make sense to me as a live band. And verily, they rocketh.

Help me in the future to remember that the Constantines embody, at their best, one particular archetype of what I believe rock and roll can and should be. And let them write more songs like 'On To You' to remind me of that fact.

Is it the fact that Bry Webb sounds strikingly like Tom Waits to me on the verses? The "oooooh-oh" lines? The bitching keyboards? The pause in the music whenever the line "And ___________ says: I'm on to you" is sung in the middle of the song? The great build up, full of "sha-la-la oooh"s, or that roaring ending?

No, it's none of that, although I love all of it too. It's the feeling Webb loads into the phrase "I'm on to you". In his hands, it's pursuit, it's knowing, it's forboding, it's loving, it's defiant, it's warm. The feel of the song is what gets me. And it's what has gotten me with every Cons song I love.

Amen.

(sorry about all the 'verily's, I'm probably the only one who gets a chuckle out them)

-----



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates