« Home | Big Fish 2: Bigger Fish » | It's Don Cherry, fer chrissakes » | Fuck censorship » | On seeing Big Fish » | Insane » | SFA OK » | No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die » | Making history » | Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Lover's Spit » | Dada » 

Saturday, February 07, 2004 

A word on Dick

I think I've begun to formulate the way I feel about the characterization in the work of Philip K. Dick. It seems quite shallow and superficial, but is actually incredibly well done. I believe the reason this is is that we are shown what the characters do, and why they think they do it, but never why they actually do it. So you gain great insight (through inference, or maybe empathy is the right word?) into their characters either intuitively, immediately and ineffably, or not at all.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates