« Home | Spook(y) » | The Floating World: I Against I » | Hmm... » | That's all right » | Alas » | What if? » | Me am forgetful » | Whew » | Also » | It's good for you » 

Wednesday, July 07, 2004 

Tangled up in goo

Partly excellent article about wars of attrition here. Partly because the point Peters is making, that the only real way to win wars is to kill more people than the opponent, is 100% true and people have tended to act as if this isn't true recent.

HOWEVER, a few huge caveats need to be added in here. First of all, just because I think what he's saying is correct does not mean in any way that I like it. I do think that as long as our societies continue to engage in warfare, we should be honest about what that entails. That doesn't mean I think it's a sustainable (or laudable) model.

Also, Peter's analysis of the "War on Terrorism" etc, etc, is severely skewed in a way that I, at least, don't agree with. So take those bits with several grains of salt.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates