« Home | HT VWLS » | Best Song Ever (As of This Minute) Dept. » | Obit » | "Brilliantly postmodern" » | I can't speak properly » | I'm with Jer re: Italics » | Fuck II: Son of Fuck » | Fuck » | Disillusionment sets in » | Woo hoo » 

Sunday, August 15, 2004 

"Trial of the year"

Here's the thing: I neither believe nor disbelieve what the three American ex-soldiers have claimed during their trial in Kabul for, among other things, "hostage-taking, torture, illegally entering Afghanistan and running a private jail".

That is, when they say "We were in contact directly by fax and e-mail and phone with [Defence Secretary] Donald Rumsfeld's office and with the deputy secretary of defence for intelligence" I can believe that that happened, and I could also easily believe that these men were simply rogues, bad seeds no longer acting on American orders.

What I can't believe is that Idema and co. are so naive that they think, if they were doing black ops for the US, that there's going to be any evidence left to support this, that the States would be caught with their pants down. I'll be quite surprised if that happens.

Or in other words - whatever reason these men were doing these horrible things, I think they're fucked now.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates