« Home | Awesome Dept. » | Tellement longtemps et mercis de tous les poissons » | Young at heart » | Fuck Adbusters and their shitty design » | Neil! » | Disgusting » | It had to happen sometime » | Depths of depravity » | And now for something... you know the rest » | The Floating World: Twice Removed » 

Wednesday, September 29, 2004 

Rent a flat above a shop

I'm not a class warrior, nor have I or my family ever been actually poor, but Pulp's "Common People" is a song I respond to very strongly, one that means something important to me (in addition to being a great tune). I listened to William Shatner and Joe Jackson's new version with great trepidation, and for about the first half of the first verse my worst fears came true: They succumbed to kitsch.

But then Shatner locates the mainline of fury that drove Cocker, and the version takes off. It's not nearly as good as the original of course, but both versions are very angry songs, and Shatner's been an actor long enough to give some pretty effective line readings. Plus, Jackson sings when it's called for. Crisis averted, though narrowly.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates