« Home | But life goes on, so... » | Fuck you » | Geeeeek! » | I wanna be the minority » | This year ain't that special » | The pleasures of artificiality » | Running scared? » | Christmas came early » | Nobody likes you » | The end of history » 

Wednesday, November 03, 2004 

Democracy in action

I know I don't live in America (and thank goodness), but of course the election results get to me. I'm a resident of North America, and Americans are my contemporaries, as are Canadians. But we didn't vote in Stephen Harper.

As K posted, it's more depressing that Bush won fair and square (at least it looks that way) then if he'd cheated. I have this depressing feeling that I'll live out the rest of my life with the vague feeling that I'm outnumbered, that the sane, rational, kind, decent people are outweighed by the forces of apathy, ignorance and screaming zealotry. That, in other words, the next couple of years will warp me slightly for my entire life, the same way Hunter S. Thompson's opinion on the basic decency of human beings never quite seemed to recover from Nixon. Cue the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (which happens to be on the radio at work now); only time will tell if we will get what we need.

Of course, I had a beer with supper, so maybe I'm being maudlin.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates