« Home | Permit me my Serpentor moments... » | Revised opinion II: Son of revised opinion » | Revised opinion » | Time for a change in tactics » | Behind the times » | Here's to originality » | The Floating World: Per Second, Per Second, Per S... » | Good show » | Shameless theft (almost) » | Lengthy follow up » 

Monday, December 06, 2004 

Revised opinion III: Not really revised

The Postal Service record got played an awful lot in the office last year (maybe part of the reason why I had such a visceral dislike for it?), and most of it either made no impression or really annoyed me. There was one exception: "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight", which was last year's "Birthday" (in more than one way!).

Upon relistening now, I still don't hear the genius so many credit the album with, but I find I can tolerate, and maybe even like a little, "Such Great Heights". Although it's not a patch on "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight", of course. Everything else...

Let's just say the next time someone refers to a band as "the new New Order" (which is the new "the new Strokes", which was the new "the new Nirvana", which was the new "the new My Bloody Valentine", give or take a few), I'm going to hit them.

I'm not going to credit the PS with geniusness, but I still think it's very fine album with -- I don't know -- 6 killer tracks. It's keeping my snark-rating down, but I still play this one quite a bit, esp. on drives.

If you get a chance, check out Iron & Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights" (if you like I&W).

I need to check out Iron & Wine, but I've been told I'd like them/him/whatever.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates