« Home | That time of the week » | Uh oh » | Fuck you, humanity » | And now for something etc etc » | Words fail me » | Don't hate » | The ethics of linking » | So many wasted hours » | An Ed Wood for our times » | The children are our future » 

Monday, February 07, 2005 

Listening frequencies

After having listened to both while reading Phenomenology Of Perception in fits and starts, I think Andrew Unterberger may be right; I do enjoy Isn't Anything more than Loveless as a whole, and I do listen to the former more often. Although I certainly love the songs on the latter (and as Andrew notes, the closing combination of "What You Want" and "Soon" are as sublime as anything else you can think of), as an album (whisper it) Loveless doesn't work terribly well.

Which is kind of confusing, really, because the tracks taken individually are so powerful. I think Andrew's thesis, that there's too much of the same thing, has something to do with it, but as I've been reading Merleau-Ponty I'm beginning to think there are existential reasons as well. I can't put my finger on that more precisely, nor would I subject you to it if I could.

I do have limits on what I'll ramble on about in this space, believe it or not.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates