« Home | At long last » | Fame Audit » | Fashion SWAT » | Cautiously optimistic » | The Floating World: Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada » | Housecleaning » | Some photos don't get seen » | Shame, shame » | Who among us will avenge Ms. Nina Simone? » | Lyrics quiz » 

Saturday, March 26, 2005 

You can't think with spinal fluid

From the CBC:

However, the Schindlers told Pinellas Circuit Judge George Greer in a motion filed Friday that their daughter tried to talk. The motion said she tried to articulate the first two words of the sentence, "I want to live."

I am going to assume, knowing the few people who read this regularly, that the fallacy here is apparant. Nonetheless, I am so angry that I'm going to make it explicit anyway.

Even if Schiavo could talk (which, in case you haven't been following things, she can't), and even if she said "I want" (and given how suggestible and outright deceitful the Schindlers have been during this case, why should we believe them?), the only possible way to infer that "to live" follows "I want" is to assume it. For all we know she could have been saying "I want to se my kids" or "I want to go for a walk as I've been in a goddamned hospital bed for fifteen years" or even, yes, "I want to die".

My pity for the Schindlers is sadly outweighed by my contempt for them. They are wrong medically, legally, morally and epistemelogically. Yes, I can understand a certain level of derangement, this is their child. But in fifteen years they should have learned to cope. The fact that they hired Randall Terry is merely another black mark next to their names.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates