« Home | The power of repetition in humour » | I rock a law suit when I'm going to court » | Our wacky neighbours » | Wow dept. » | Twofer » | Verwirrung » | Clark for 08 » | Also » | At it again » | Narcissism, I guess » 

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 

Why did this never happen?

So here at work an older song by the Backstreet Boys called "More Than That" comes on the radio. But all three of us in Tracing can't quite make out of the chorus vocals, and I'd swear they were singing "I'll love you more than death". And there is sort of a despairing echoey quaver in the Boys' voices.

Which brings to mind the utterly urgent and key question: Why has there never been a Goth boyband? Or are the Japanese ahead of us in the great insane race that is Progress in Pop?

I mean, yes, in the wider world they'd sell roughly nothing, but I'd love to see it nonetheless. Especially done well, no tongues in cheek.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates