« Home | Not just but necessary » | Alive » | Dream baby » | Jesus plus nothing » | Ahh, materialism » | My Jesus forgives your Jesus » | Not bad » | Scarily perceptive » | I'd buy that book » | Damnit, the duck is right! » 

Monday, May 09, 2005 

Blast from the past

For some reason I've had the Verve's "Velvet Morning" from Urban Hymns in my head all afternoon. I got that album on the same birthday I received OK Computer on, and it's probably been at least as influential on my listening habits. I can understand why someone like Nick doesn't like it, but I heard it first and I actually like it better than A Northern Soul - to say nothing of A Storm In Heaven, which I no longer own but if it was remixed properly would be willing to try again. About the only UK spacerock album with curiously muted production I can still stand is Lazer Guided Melodies, and that only in the right mood.

But, Urban Hymns. I actually like the second half better, although there should be no gap and secret track after "Come On", and they could stand to lose "Neon Wilderness". I think I should listen to it again when I get home.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates