« Home | Awww... » | Show report » | You can't make this shit up » | They'll never top The Colour And The Shape » | Super DragAndGo » | Filesharing makes me spend money on music dept. » | W.A.S.T.E. » | It's a place where books are free » | Eccentric, not crazy » | Book quiz » 

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 

Grab bag

So today I'm a little late leaving for second shift at work, so instead of taking painful minutes figuring out what I want to listen to (a nearly impossible thing to decide) I just grabbed a chunk of the unsorted CDs adorning one wall of my room. And here's what I got:

R.E.M. - Document
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
The Strokes - Room On Fire
Mogwai - Ten Rapid
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (1)
Cream - Strange Brew: The Very Best Of Cream
The Apples In Stereo - Her Wallpaper Reverie (2)
Copyright - Love Story (3)
The Replacements - Tim (4)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey (5)

I do like some non-rock music, I swear. I'd guess at least 3-4 of these are eventually bound for the record store.

(1) This will be a first listen, if I get to it. I doubt I'll like it more than Fun House, but we'll see.
(2) "Questions And Answers" is the shit, yo. I actually prefer my Apples In Stereo as brief as possible, and surrounded by weird instrumentals ("Les Amants" once gave me a bad scare late at night on headphones).
(3) I bought this because I loved "Transfiguration" and "Radio", and I think I still do - I tried to sell it repeatedly because "Seven" and especially "Omnicide" are very silly. It was my favourite record for a brief period when I was very young. But "Once Upon A Valentine" is a pretty great anti-love song, and I think I may want to give this one another chance.
(4) There are some tremendous songs here - "Bastards Of Young" and "Left Of The Dial", yeah, but "Little Mascara" and "Hold My Life" are maybe even better, to say nothing of "Here Comes A Regular". Still, the record as a whole has never done that much for me - I may wind up letting this one go.
(5) I think this record may be underrated. "Lurgee" and "Blow Out" certainly are, and "Prove Yourself" and "I Can't" - the first half has some duds, but it ends really strongly.

Now that you're clearing CD's, be sure to save space on your hard drive for the Belle & Sebastian EP comp you're burning for me *cough, cough*

Pablo Honey still seems to me very average, as it did at the time. Not many indications that that particular caterpillar would become a butterfly.

Ah shit - Alfred, I completely forgot about that. I will attempt to get it to you soon (I need more blank CDs, first of all).

And Ben, I'm willing to admit that my fondness for Pablo Honey may stem from the amount that I played it when I got it - but I got it after OK Computer and The Bends, so I think there may still be something there...

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates