« Home | We're only human » | Huh? » | What do you mean there are rules? » | Lee "Blast" McDermott » | Going so low » | I think I need to find a copy of the U.S.A. trilogy » | Dancin' fools » | Steam engine » | We have always been at war » | Surprisingly beautiful » 

Sunday, October 30, 2005 

Thrilling adventure theatre

I'm all for comic books as a Serious Art Form and all that, but just as a good action movie can be incredibly satisfying, the super hero stuff can be really fantastically exciting. Check out Grant Morrison's absolutely insane story from JLA Classified - I'm pretty sure even if you don't know any of the characters except Batman and Superman the sheer giddy thrill of the plotting, pacing and oneliners comes through nicely.

This stuff is like the comics I read as a kid on massive doses of caffeine and way too much imagination. I wouldn't want to read it all the time, but the fact that Morrison can go from this to The Filth style stuff astounds me.

Also: Superman saying, in all sincerity, "these 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel" is the best thing ever.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates