« Home | Lest we forget » | Reflection » | Batshit, I tell you » | Mash up » | I speak in smoke signals and you answer in code » | Boundless and glacial » | Preventative, not palliative » | Weird tea » | Perspectivity » | Running late » 

Saturday, November 12, 2005 

There was a time before we were born

So I've just spent 9-6 in a small room in the MacDonald Stewart building, listening to a series of papers given at a conference in honour of Ken Dorter, one of my favourite profs, who is retiring. It was excellent. My reward? Enough free beer to get me drunk on an empty stomach and Ken's genuinely touching account of Plato's doctrine of recollection, one of the few philosophical theories that actually touches me emotionally (why? Part of the answer is in Talking Heads' "Once In A Lifetime" and especially "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)", especially the Stop Making Sense version).

Also, I think I may want to do a Master's. It would be on something relating to aesthetics and art criticism. I thought about it back when I was sober, and should probably sit down and think about it seriously tomorrow.

One of my favorite college classes -- and probably what convinced me to go through with a philosophy minor -- was an aesthetics course I took while studying in the U.K. The professor was great and taught from his own book.

The description makes it sound pretty good - anyone willing to get into both Wittgenstein and Barthes is probably on the right track.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates