« Home | Good Bible » | Practice » | No negotiation under duress » | Now that's what I call philosophy! » | One intricate network overlaid on a completely dif... » | The radical notion that a female is a human being » | There are cracks in everything » | Mixed notes » | An apology to plants » | And cannot live but in the dreamscape of the future. » 

Monday, February 06, 2006 

iPop

You know I don't post everything good that goes up on Stylus, because that's just silly, but Nick's newest Soulseeking raises some interesting issues. I think his definition of "iPop" is valuable, even if naturally I disagree about some of the examples (not that I think Nick is trying to make them universal; still, if I could buy the Robyn album in a record store I would, and even though I can't I imagine I'll wind up mailordering it when I have enough money). And I definitely don't relate to his computer music experience; I have a large playlist called "Sorted Music" which is stuff I actually listen to, and everything else goes into "Unsorted" and has to filtered through before I keep it (most of it gets deleted). I only have whole albums when I am deciding to buy them - if I'm not going to buy them they are deleted, not out of deference to the RIAA or what have you, but because why would I keep them? The idea of keeping things around that I'm not going to listen to/read/watch/what have you is not something I've ever really done, the one area of music collection insanity I seem to be able to avoid.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates