« Home | An apology to plants » | And cannot live but in the dreamscape of the future. » | Pretty » | Slept on » | Hanging fire » | Brainless » | Character arcs » | Sacrelicious! » | What makes a man start fires? » | Nothing lasts » 

Friday, February 03, 2006 

Mixed notes

The live version of the Knife's "Heartbeats" over at Said The Gramophone is incredible. As are José Gonzalez's and the original. This just might be the best song made in the past five years, and amazingly durable to boot.

The part in Ataxia's "Montreal" where Joe Lally(?) slurs out "Sold all my records/What a stupid thing to do" hits me right in the chest. I'm not sure why.

The intro to Destroyer's "Sick Priest Learns To Last Forever" is straight Neil Young, "Down By The River". The rest I'm not so keen on (sorry, Mike).

Finally finished Borges' Collected Fictions. Wow. Precisely as mindblowing as I'd expected/hoped from Labyrinths. Now I need to find his poetry and nonfiction.

Probably the singular thing for someone my age to take from V. (how could I have forgotten the period?) is that the twentieth century is not what we often think it is. I was born in 1981 and so my view of the "twentieth century" is the eighties and nineties - a fifth of it. And arguably not even close to the most representative fraction. The back of my edition of V. calls it "the wild, macabre tale of the twentieth century", and it was written in 1961, before so much of what we latecomers think of as the twentieth century. V. conjures up a world hidden beneath (not before - remember Faulkner!) ours, one that we could trace backwardsto from ours if we were smart enough (and maybe that's partly what he is doing). Pynchon writes of a world where, before the great upheavals of the 60s and beyond and the recent and still painfully present fever of millennialism, it felt like "Nothing was coming. Nothing was already here." It often feels like that, to those alive at the time. They're always wrong.

have you heard the rex the dog remix of "heartbeats"?

and yes, that live version is incredible.

No, you must hook me up! "Heartbeats" is my crack.

you should get an e-mail, but if not, it's here.

I did get an email and you sir, are awesome.

Not to mention the 21st century. The Valerie Plame/Flame/Wilson, etc. story is one straight out of a sequel to V.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates