« Home | Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal » | Relationships, hey hey hey » | Bits and pieces » | Burned, stabbed and mauled by a lion and a grizzly... » | Best news I've heard in a while » | Dangerous Tandem Feeding Technique » | If I was American, I'd give money to Planned Paren... » | Black hand like Gavrilo » | I would never really know what to say until it's b... » | Kill your revolutionaries » 

Friday, March 24, 2006 

Suit on a skateboard

Something Awful may be a humour website, but something like today's update, by the possibly undervalued Zach Parsons, is just plain good writing. Like his take on cities:

The thing about living in a big city - and I assume this is true all over the world - is that you do have to possess a certain tolerance for the surreal. I'm not talking about naked cowboy or some dude painted like a robot, those guys aren't surreal in the least. They want to be noticed. Surreal is a bunch of guys passed out drunk underneath the trees in front of your apartment at 10 AM. It's some incredibly muscular guy screaming in a voice like the vocalist for Cannibal Corpse at a retarded woman in a wheelchair. Surreal is people being incredibly strange or creepy and not wanting you to notice.

I dunno that guys passed out under trees drunk at 10am in front of my apartment counts as surreal. But I attended Texas A&M... so.

I'm assuming that's a party school.

Oh god, you had Aggies too.

oh yeah, the aggies were terrible. so, see? I'm used to this kinda thing. drunken idiots under my tree <> surreal.

Our aggies are different, but in degree rather than in type.

And wouldn't it be surreal if you were in Chicago and they weren't aggies, just random guys?

no, no. I'm sure there are aggies in chicago too. I'd just assume they were aggies and move on without giving it a second thought.

I really don't think aggies are that widespread in urban areas.

I actually know an aggie moving to chicago soonish. They are *everywhere*.

There are like 50,000 people enrolled on *main* campus at any given time, not counting all the other A&M satellite campuses around who also call themselves aggies. Texas A&M Aggies are allllllllll over the place.

Woah, shit. Aggies are pretty prevelent at the U of Goo, but that's about it. And I think our total enrollment is about 17,000.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates