« Home | My words are just punches » | A cardboard cut-out of a plane on fire » | Unknown pleasures » | Focus » | Wait behind, wait behind » | Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles » | LOBSTER STICKS TO MAGNET! » | Busy week » | Sunlight hits like a hammer » | Tribulation » 

Sunday, April 08, 2007 

We're half-awake

The National's Boxer (out at the end of May) isn't going to upset Low's Drums and Guns from the top of my 2007 best-of list. But everyone else needs to watch out. I listened to it basically on repeat on the way back from the Russian Futurists/Junior Boys concert in Toronto Friday night and it's a fantastic record; their last didn't really get to me, but Boxer has the same kind of emotional resonance for me that Spoon's Girls Can Tell and A Hundred Miles Off by the Walkmen did. Which means it feels half-painfully accurate in terms of what my life is like right now, and Matt Berninger's voice splits the difference between Mark Kozelek and Stuart Staples beautifully to boot.

I don't normally bother posting about music I'm really into here (partly because I'm often reviewing it on Stylus, Maxïmo Park and Low for example), but these guys just vaulted over a bunch of higher profile contestants to be the indie rock record in 2007 that reminds me why I love/d the genre so. I like it so much I even finally changed the tagline at the top of the blog to something new, a line from "Ada" that's my favourite lyric in quite a while.

I loved the last album from The National, so I'll have to run, not walk, and go pick this up. Thanks.

I don't think you'll regret it. It's more mumbly than Alligator, but in a wonderful way.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates