« Home | The internet will eventually destroy any good memo... » | I'm not sure I like BBC News' new layout. But I'l... » | The ancient Greeks were more sophisticated than we... » | Newton's laws say that for every action there is a... » | It's funny 'cuz it's true. » | My brother's new tatoo (without the surrounding ma... » | Woke up this afternoon with a gulch for a throat. ... » | It's getting warm. It's brown outside; I've alway... » | "The intelligent man finds almost everything ridic... » | I feel curiously amped up today. Interpol's spast... » 

Wednesday, February 19, 2003 

Was just relistening to Hatful Of Hollow. I realise there was a point in time when even Boy George wasn't definitively regarded as gay by the public, but I don't see how people ever mistook Morrisey for straight. 'William, It Was Really Nothing', 'Handsome Devil', 'Accept Yourself', 'Still Ill', 'You've Got Everything Now' - to me, it seems obvious that Morrisey was very palpably wrestling with his desire for other men and the repression of such (if not by himself, at least on a societal level) at the time. The fact that he made some of the best pop songs of the 80s while doing so is merely astonishing.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates