« Home | Happy Sacking of Troy day! Hey, this site is no G... » | Some poor guy is trying to update the Union Jack; ... » | This is why I love TMFTML. Both great songs. » | Ha! I beat Pete to the punch - I am listening to ... » | Good article on Helen Keller at the New Yorker. » | Truly monumental new post at The Church Of Me. » | Interesting article assessing Buffy's impact on TV... » | Almost forgot that Ecchi Attack offshoot Chibi Cla... » | Hendy on the Drug Olympics; an idea I've heard bef... » | So, does this qualify as suffering for your art? ... » 

Wednesday, June 11, 2003 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Days Of Being Wild



My computer, apparantly, has a bad hard drive. I forgot that as I wrote this entry. As is my usual habit, I wrote it in the diary-x page for updating. It crashed. Normally you can still select the text and copy and paste it away before letting it crash, but not here. No.



I feel rage. Too much of it. I'm already running late, I might not get the dishes done, and I don't want to go to work (no reason in particular, just the regular not wanting to work). I am so glad I chose this song.



'Days Of Being Wild' slams out of the gate, the band howling about being alive in jail/Alive and well, and does not let up for a minute and a half. As with much of And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead's wondrous Source Tags & Codes album, it is rage in sonic form. The original review I had written noted that And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (who, unfortunately, resist acronyms, ellipses and excerptions) were not punk, a fact I was compelled to point out because of the surface similarity between a song like 'Days Of Being Wild' and punk. But where punk is ultimately about rebellion, rock is about agression*. And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead have a better handle on this than most modern rock bands, even to the extent of knowing that unrelenting agression is less effective than varying your attack.



So a minute and a half into 'Days Of Being Wild' the drums cease their martial stomp, the guitars start glinding rather than crashing, and there is a short, quiet, bridge. There are whispered vocals. And then everything powers back up again for



Go

Down

Down to find some peace

Driven to shambles on a tip

I never said that I would quit

And the next song takes over



It doesn't sound like much on the page,but anyone who has heard the song nows why it is powerful. The whole thing is repeated again and again, I never said that I would quit especially reverberating like a curse or a promise, as one of the other members of the band begins a spoken word dialogue. There's no transcription in the booklet, and he's not quite decipherable, but he sound contemptuous.



What 'Days Of Being Wild' is about is, to me, a mystery; I know I catch the words 'amphetamines', 'jail', the phrase around my throat you came so close to stopping me. But it sounds exactly the way I feel when I'm pissed off. As I am now.



-----



*I may be stealing this distinction from Glenn McDonald; who makes a similar series of distinctions somewhere.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates