« Home | This article has been brought to you by Nick’s Int... » | ...As this head falls to shoulder » | Short update (very short) on the journal. It's li... » | Create your own internet fetish subculture! » | I thought 'artistic merit' was public good, but I ... » | So they may free the children being held at Guanta... » | See, occasionally Pitchfork still nails it. If I ... » | Wigu! Wigu! Wigu! » | Penny Arcade gets back to what it's really all abo... » | Awesome! Link via Largehearted Boy. » 

Sunday, August 24, 2003 

To continue my further inter-site dialogue with Southall (now linked at the side), I have to refer to this:

"I don’t mean a single word of it. Some of you are pinning significance to these lines, finding profundity in the colons and the html coding and the occasional bursts of profanity, feeling passion and belief and a definite sense of purpose, and the simple fact is that I’m sitting here, for the most part, with a bottle of Nastro Azzurro or whatever next to me, and I’m just writing, like it’s a job or a chore or a reflex action."

Well, of course. None of us do. All good writers (all good artists) are a strange mix of the fraud and the sincere. If we really all meant the stuff we wrote, what sort of people would that make us? Not the kind fit for human society, at the very least. This is, of course, a point he makes later; but whereas he points out that this level of projection or screening is necessary for our mental health, I would argue further that it is necessary for the creation of the art work.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates