« Home | Satelittes » | There goes the fear » | Thought of the night » | Sounds good, looks good, feels good too » | A word on Dick » | Big Fish 2: Bigger Fish » | It's Don Cherry, fer chrissakes » | Fuck censorship » | On seeing Big Fish » | Insane » 

Saturday, February 07, 2004 

Final thought

Alright, it's bedtime, but I'm going to (before I sleep) post some text from Todd Burn's Stranded piece on Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II. The context, of course, is that he's trapped on an island.

"I popped in this disc now and I remember this girl I thought I loved. At night I love to listen to this album on the island. Anywhere, really. It reminds me of all kinds of things from home and maybe that's not the best thing in a place like this or a situation like this, but maybe it is the best thing because it keeps me going and believing that this fire that I tend to everyday is going to spell my relief and my return to a life that I never really enjoyed anyway, but let me tell you. Let me tell you this: things will change if I get back. I will marry the woman I love and not care about anything else in the world. I will get a job as a cook in a restaurant, I will smell the grease, and I will love it. I will get burned by the oven and I will rejoice. I will get chewed out by my manager for being late and then I will give them a hug because I'm so full of love, the world is so full of love that there is no reason not to. There's absolutely no reason not to."

He's 100% right, and you know it. Yeah, you, in the back.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates