« Home | Mainstream media vs. hoaxes » | Space is the place » | Best headline ever dept. » | Happy anniversary » | Rant courtesy of Mr. Ellis » | Wow » | Home of the brave dept. » | Hot for teacher » | Shee-it » | How awesome is this? » 

Wednesday, February 18, 2004 

Wednesday's Emotional Setup: Rehearsed Disaster

As I've already mentioned elsewhere, I've been listening to a pre-release copy of Readymade's upcoming album (called, I believe, All The Plans Resting). I am looking forward to its actual release in a way I'm not sure I've ever been looking forward to a record before. The MP3s are unmastered, but they're absolutely beautiful.

'Rehearsed Disaster' is one of the most immediately gorgeous of the songs, and also one of the most unexpected. It starts out with airy synth sounds and something I think is either some variety of acoustic guitar or piano - in any case, it's a far lighter, organic type of sound than I've previously associated with Readymade (even if subsequent, curious listens to On Point And Red and especially 'No Longer Ortona' show I'm just forgetful).

From there it moves to a series of verses and (especially) a chorus that is one of the most wonderfully catchy Readymade has ever done. All of All The Plans Resting is great, but here especially the vocals are just beautiful. I haven't listened too closely yet, although on other tracks I've caught some definite political commentary (although my perception of that will remain fractured until I see some lyrics), and of course the title of the song hints ata similar approach. And then the thing swoons to a close, just over three minutes later.

One thing that, perversely, initially endeared 'Rehearsed Disaster' to me was that the original MP3 I had suffered a rather severe drop in noise between the first and second "hiding inside"s, in other words just before the first chorus. The first time it happened I figured it was my speakers, but I quickly determined it was the file.

At first it annoyed me, but you can get used to anything. I wouldn't turn it up, just let this one song be the quietest thing on the album. I like the proper version better, mind you, but I did get used to the quiet one. The first time I listened to the proper version, I actually jumped a little when the sound didn't drop out - I'd forgotten about it.

-----



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates