« Home | Continue being excellent to each other » | Slow reaction time » | Bwahaha » | Slow life » | Timesuck » | Cool! » | It burns! It burrrrrrns! » | Here we go... » | Fuck censorship » | Ugh » 

Thursday, December 16, 2004 

Adventures in cooking

So here I am cooking up some tasty chicken/mushroom/pea curry for the Ontarion Christmas party I'm going to tonight. And what does curry go with? Rice. So I haul out the rice cooker and set it up, and then go get the rice. Now, we've had this stuff for a while, yes, but first it was in a sealed plastic bag and then (when the cats took an interest) I tranferred it into a few of my plastic containers. I figured it'd be safe there.

So when I opened it up today and saw maggots, I was a little shocked. Not to mention more skeeved out than I've been in a while. From the remnants of their eggs I'm guessing they'd acidentially been put in the bag at the time it went to the store (this was bulk rice, I'm not sure where from), because the non-bulk white rice right next to this stuff, which was in it's original open packaging with a twist tie closing it, was fine.

And believe me, I checked that very carefully.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates