« Home | The Floating World: 2004 (Part 2) » | Ahhh » | Oh my lord » | Fucking teenagers » | The slow dawning of comprehension » | Recursive » | Away from keyboard (sort of) » | Should be interesting, at the very least » | Like dominos » | Ain't a damn thing changed » 

Friday, December 24, 2004 

The Floating World: 2004 (Part 3)

Is there really much to say in the way of preamble at this point? Part 1 is here, 2 is found here. I have to get up early tomorrow to go to where we're having Christmas, so again this is only five of my top twenty.

15. Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
Well, she got top 3 in our list, and I can't say I disagree (check out Dom Passantino's brilliant work on the blurb); but to quote Justin Cober-Lake, it's an "[album] I should like more than I do". Of the two 30-odd minute long discs, the first is by far superior, and "Waiter" is I think the best thing she's done yet.

Still can't stand "It's A Pose" (yeah, because I'm a male, I'm sure) and a few others, but the rest - classic. This cries out for a Playing God on it, though. But the best moments, hell, most of it, is just great. I'm really looking forward to whatever she does next, and honestly if she keeps pissing me off in the process, that's a good thing.

14. Woven - 8 Bit Monk
I ended the review of this album as follows: "8 Bit Monk [is] a promising, intriguing debut, but until we can both see whether the soundscapes here have lasting power and in what direction Woven go next, we’ll have to leave the plaudits at that."

Well, I've had it since January, and those soundscapes do have lasting power. I've listened to this a hell of a lot more than I expected to, and enjoyed it in a similar fashion. The lyrics are still a little off, but the sound of the album still holds me. Truthfully, the fact that this technically came out in 2003 is one of the reasons it's down so far. But I didn't get it until early 2004, so by our rules it's eligible. Eh, nobody else was going to vote for it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

But still, if the idea of the Deftones mellowing a little and exploring electronic textures whilst doing lots of, not "ballads", but softer songs appeals to you at all, get this record.

13. Darren Hayes – The Tension And The Spark
Didn't I say that this was the year I finally let go of all reservations about pop? If you'd told me even a few years ago that my 2004 end of year albums list would include the second solo album of the singer from fucking Savage Garden, fer chrissakes (and I still hate their stuff - just because I like pop doesn't give the crap stuff a free pass), I'd have been aghast.

And yes, I suppose the depressive, self-deprecating ballads and harsh electro pop found here are a little cooler than S----e G----n, but that doesn't explain my love for "Dublin Sky", an absolute killer of a track. In his thank yous Hayes thanks the listener at the end, for "taking a risk". I know what he means. He knows many of us have little reason to trust him, and what does he do? Make the most openly self-loathing, and one of the most open, pop albums since Pinkerton (I invite anyone disputing that Weezer were pop to re-evaluate their position on the musical landscape post-Blue Album). If we're just looking at albums period, this certainly isn't The Holy Bible, but you can see it from here.

He's trusting us, in other words. But he repays the trust marvellously, giving music that most importantly digs its hooks deep into your brain but also a story that stays with you. The latter is not a prerequisite of a good album; but it doesn't hurt. In some ways, because of when I discovered both (and thanks to Todd Burns and Edward Oculicz for the help with this one), this one is the anti-Per Second, Per Second, Per Second... Every Second for me. And you know how seriously I take that one.

12. Green Day – American Idiot
I think my review of American Idiot is a bit overly defensive, but I'd probably just read something snide about it. So there you go: Green Day is the kind of band that makes me be nasty to its detractors. Oh, I don't care if you don't like them; just try not to be a jerk about it. American Idiot is to my ears the finest album the band has ever put together, and that's despite the fact I like all of the others. Like the Streets' latest, you really do need to hear it all at once.

Preferably while driving really fast down wet night empty city streets with friends, singing along, but you know; your mileage may vary.

11. Oneida - Secret Wars
I still stand by the contention that this is vastly better than the new Sonic Youth, but I've never really been into Sonic Youth, so take that as you will. I apparantly hold heretical opinions on Mission Of Burma and Interpol's latest to boot, although heretical to what I'm not sure.

My enjoyment for this one has levelled off a little, but "The Last Act, Every Time", "Wild Horses" and "The Winter Shaker" still put the parts of my brain responsible for recognizing sonic pleasure into overload, and "Changes In The City" is just perfect. Along with British Sea Power's "Lately", one of the few extra-long album enders I actually listen to all the way through, every time.

Next, due whenever I get time, is the first half of the top ten. A few usual suspects, but maybe a few unusual ones too.

You might have to dump me for this, but (whispering) I kinda like Savage Garden.

That depends, dear: Which songs?

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates