« Home | Nobody puts Baby in the corner - except him » | The world as sophistry » | Aww » | More important things » | The Floating World: 2004 (Part 4) » | You win again » | Fire sale » | I still love winter » | I love winter » | Suckage » 

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 

How does he do it?

I've been reading John Scalzi's blog for quite a while now, and he's pulled off an incredible feat: He keeps writing things I agree with totally; that is, things I already believe but put into much better form than I usually use. And not about things like music or literature either; we're talking about politics, religion, and various philosophical issues (Scalzi got his degree in philosophy, it's worth noting). A case in point has just been posted; his seven maxims for non-believers is another in a long line of things he's written thatis exactly what I would say if I were more eloquent.

There are plenty of other writers on this sort of thing that I agree with generally and enjoy reading, but only with Scalzi can I say that everything he's written so far I feel comfortable standing behind 100%, with saying "actually, that's my opinion too". How our personal biases came to line up so precisely I don't know, but it's nice to know at least one writer that can articulate the things you believe so wonderfully.

(NB. I am aware that having said this, Scalzi will no doubt write something, not bad, but not so in line with my own beliefs; I actually wouldn't mind, as each time he says something that just feels right his winning streak gets a bit harder to believe)



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates