« Home | Follow up » | Badass » | Postscript » | Tiger Bear Wolf » | To: Walmart » | "My personal savior is Batman" » | The shift from "Sith" to "Shit" isn't clever, I kn... » | The next President? » | Jedi are creepy » | Don't hide who you are » 

Friday, May 13, 2005 

Top fives

Stolen from, while, specifically from Seb, but really found through Vinyl Mine. I'm using Seb's version because I like the category he adds. All of these are, as per policy, in no particular order and subject to change without notice.

Five Lyrics that "Move My Heart"
[Ian note: Where "Move My Heart" does not necessarily mean what you'd assume it means]

I am the best seventeen-year-old ever
(The Wrens - "Everyone Choose Sides")

A quiet life
With my wife
Is all I need, for goodness' sake
The things I make
They have no use
But they have the most beautiful shape

(Six By Seven - "A Beautiful Shape")

When she lies with me
Will she pretend I'm pretty
Will she forget I'm ugly?
Oh, I've lived a lie
I stole a pretty bride during the summertime

Why must she taunt me so
She still has his scent
She still wears the bastard's clothes
Oh I've lived a lie
I stole a pretty bride during the summertime

(Hefner - "I Stole A Bride")

I still hear trains at night
When the wind is right I
Remember everything
Lick and thread this string
That will never mend you or tailor more
Than a memory of the kitchen floor
Or the fire door that we kept propping open
And I love this place, the enormous sky
And the faces, hands that I'm haunted by
So why
Can't I forgive these buildings
These frameworks labeled "Home"?

(The Weakerthans - "This Is a Fire Door Never Leave Open")
[This one in particular affects me deeply despite bearing no relation to my life]

I've got reservations
About so many things
But not about you

(Wilco - "Reservations")

Top Five Instrumentals
"Green Onions" - Booker T & The MGs
"Doctor Who Theme" - BBC Radiophonic Workshop
"A Warm Place" - Nine Inch Nails
"You Should Be Getting Something" - King Cobb Steelie
"Meeting In The Aisles" - Radiohead

Top Five Musical Experiences
- Seeing Spiritualized twice in two nights and going backstage after the second show.
- Being blown away by a set by this guy neither Pete nor I had ever heard called Prefuse 73 before Amon Tobin's set.
- Seeing the Wrens live for the first time, and then seeing the Wrens live for the second time - it was even better, which I didn't imagine was possible.
- Seeing Wire live for the 17th anniversary of Lee's Palace. Still one of the louder things I've ever heard.
- Seeing the Constantines live after being a little disappointed in their second album - their show in the Trasheteria was a total (re)conversion experience.

Five Artists You Think More People Should Listen To
Readymade
Low
Teenage Fanclub
Hefner
The Constantines

Top Five Albums You Must Hear From Start to Finish
Superchunk - Incidental Music 1991-95
Television - The Blow-Up (Live)
Prolapse - The Italian Flag
King Cobb Steelie - Junior Relaxer
Readymade - The Dramatic Balanced By

(I went for sprawl there, so I may be placing more of an emphasis on "Start to Finish" than was intended)

Top Five Musical Heroes
David Bowie
David Byrne
The Wrens (yes, ALL OF THEM)
Joe Strummer
Bry Webb

Top Five Rock Lit Books that Should Be Made Into Movies
The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize by David Cavanagh
Flesh Guitar by Geoff Nicholson

I don't actually read (as) many books about music (as I should). That Creation book is so massive you'd need to make a trilogy out of it, though.

Top Five Musical Quotations Made In Song
- Weezer's homage to Public Enemy in "El Scorcho"
- John K. Samson singing "Oh you've got blue eyes, oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got grey eyes" at the end of "Wellington's Wednesdays" (from New Order's immortal "Temptation")
- The Thin Lizzy lyrical reference/guitar lick in Belle & Sebastian's "I'm A Cuckoo"
- The bit in the Primal Scream-assisted "Rock The Shack" where the guitars briefly go all "Shoot Speed Kill Light" on you (the song's not great, yeah, but I like that bit)
- Armand Van Helden's use of the "Cars" riff on "Kootchy"

The Constantines' Rod Stewart reference on "Young Offenders" would have made it, but Seb used that one.

And to add my own category:

Top Five Great Overlooked Songs by Otherwise Underwhelming Acts (covers strongly discouraged)
"English Fire" - Bush
"Winners" - Deadsy
"Letters To God" - Box Car Racer
"Movies" - Alien Ant Farm
"Far Away" - Tinstar

the song by the weakerthans that deeply affects you is called This is a Fire Door Never Leave Open

And you know what, I absolutely know that and can't believe I called it "Aside" for some reason. Durrr. Thanks for the help, it's fixed now!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates