« Home | Urgh » | Glee » | It's been a bad year for this sort of thing » | Damn, man » | BBC Radio 1, give this man a job » | Plug pulled » | Forgetful » | Short sighted » | Kerblooey » | The non-lecture and seminar kind of class » 

Friday, June 10, 2005 

"They are lying / And I am lying too." is a cop out

So I've now heard "Entertain" by Sleater-Kinney. "All you want is entertainment", they sing, and earlier

"So you want to be entertained?
Please look away
We're not here 'cause we want to entertain"

Well. Oddly enough, I do in fact want to be entertained* when I listen to music, and seeing as how Sleater-Kinney are above that, and the song is pretty boring to boot, we can part ways happily.

Seriously though, go read the lyrics - S-K used to write better ones than these. I mean, come on: "The lines are drawn / Whose side are you on?" Who the fuck does that remind you of? And since when has buying into that kind of bullshit false dichotomy been a laudable thing?

*I am willing to admit that my definition of "entertained" may be broader than the one used by the band in this song, but I think the point remains.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates