« Home | The next step » | Give a hoot, read a book » | Beating the heat » | The Floating World: The Dark Don't Hide It » | I don't drink coffee » | We're just painted on canvas » | SNAFU » | Fun » | The system is not, will never be and should stop t... » | Bumper sticker » 

Wednesday, July 20, 2005 

Further thoughts on Code: Selfish

I've already said most of what I want to say about my favorite Fall album (Bend Sinister being a close second, and yes there are whole swathes of the discography I have yet to hear), but after hearing the first disc of 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong again yesterday (and the selections are finally starting to make sense to me, I'll be ready for the second disc soon) I've been in the mood for them again. And listening to C:S in the gym, where the focus is so much on energy and drive, brought a few observations to the forefront:

It really as if, here more than ever, Mark E. Smith has just been strapped to the front of an inexorable machine, even on the "softer" tracks.

It really is their most New Order-esque album (that I've heard), albeit more violent.

It'd be really awesome to hear this album live, especially if the beats were mixed as foreward as the Russian Futurists' were to provide the same sort of cacophony (and I wouldn't be surprised if Matthew Adam Hart has heard and liked, say, "The Birmingham School of Business School").



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates