« Home | Saturday night » | The physics of dating » | Singles going steadily » | For reference » | That was sudden » | Sentimental musings » | I am a horrible person » | Waste of money? » | Morbidly comforting » | Free music (now with voice) » 

Saturday, August 13, 2005 

Evil is not patient

glenn mcdonald has some harsh words for the latest Harry Potter, and although I didn't notice any of this at the time, he makes some pretty compelling points.

Of course the standard defence against such comments is "The books are written primarily for children, calm down."

Of course there is always the suggestion that Mr Macdonald should write his own 7 book series, translated into dozens of languages and sold in the millions of copies around the world, before he criticizes how someone else is doing it. Perhaps the problem is that Mr Macdonald has had too much education, and therefore can not enjoy a book as a book anymore. Indeed ignorance is bliss. (ie: me)

I really enjoyed book six. I also think he's right. I don't think there's any conflict between the two.

And while I don't mind you disagreeing with me (or him), please don't make the awful, specious argument that one must write books to write about books - music critics get versions of that thrown at us all day long, and it's immensely annoying. It's also usually an indication that the critic in question has made some good points.

Of course, Gordon isn't suggesting that children books should be given a pass because kids don't know about great literature

Of course there is always the suggestion that Mr Macdonald should write his own 7 book series, translated into dozens of languages and sold in the millions of copies around the world, before he criticizes how someone else is doing it.

Ian OTM in response to this -- this brand of illogic is beyond tired. And, in case you don't think it is, Macdonald's certainly written enough now to prove he can write and think quite well.

Besides, since when do fame and sales equal quality?

Since I said so, dammit.

Wait, I have neither sales or fame... OH NOES!

(just in case there is any confusion, I am only making fun of myself with my last comment, not any of my esteemed readers)

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates