« Home | Blame the victims » | Wait » | D.O.W. » | No man's land » | Housekeeping » | Feel good hits of the 31st August » | Muscle death » | You're next » | Anti-Condescenionism » | City gone » 

Friday, September 02, 2005 

Romancing evolutionary psychology

"Falling in love," he said, "is basically a process where both sides feel they're getting a good deal."

Am I alone in finding this sort of thing terribly depressing?

Havent' read the article yet, but, even accepting the economic transaction theory, isn't part of falling in love the fact that you can't/don't/won't rationally see the downsides? Flaws in your partner becoming charming quirks; difficulties become challenging. This guy seems to think deciding to love someone is easy (and that "love" exists without action, except the symbiotic utilitarian kind).

I'd definitely kick him out of bed for eating crackers.

I'd disagree with using the word "basically." But, yeah, a lot of relationships are arrangements or – to sound even more bureaucratic and anodyne – contractual agreements. Many times I wonder whether a good relationship is one in which I have someone to eat dinner with every night.

Well, Justin, I'd argue that one of the reasons I think his conclusions are depressing is because I don't (or don't want) to agree.

But then again, my thoughts on relationships are many, relatively unorthodox (at least in these parts) and I'm supposed to be working right now...

Definitely a lot of relationships are essentially contractual agreements, and I think plenty of long-termers are just convenience - you get along, you don't fight, it works, etc. To translate the way the world functions into a explanation for something that's got some tie to feeling isn't necessarily right.

I think I'm having more conversations with you two lately than with any people I've actually met face-to-face. Sooner or later, we can get into this stuff in person, I hope!

Yeah, me too.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates