« Home | Mop to the crotch! » | It's my blog » | Not just semantics » | Busy day » | Update » | Long delayed » | Fallout » | Shopping Bags » | There was a time before we were born » | Lest we forget » 

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 

And Gertrude Stein said, "that's enough"

This sort of thing is why I like Mike Powell('s writing) so much; there are at least two absolutely killer quotations to be taken from it, and by "absolutely killer" I mean they apply to myself as well:

I'm not into not making sense. I'm into making sense, even if it's non-traditional sense.*

There's a line between poetry, which often "makes sense" by building new models of sense, by locating sense within feeling or blurring the boundaries between the two, and the dreaded JARGON, which thwarts our understanding.

The whole post is just as deserving of love, though, he makes some excellent points about a whole bunch of related issues I've been thinking a lot about recently.

*(this reminds me of a pretty good paper I wrote in Contemporary British and North American Philosophy a few years ago contra Carnap's contention that "Caesar is and." does not mean anything/is without sense)



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates