« Home | I almost forgot » | The world of magic » | And Gertrude Stein said, "that's enough" » | Mop to the crotch! » | It's my blog » | Not just semantics » | Busy day » | Update » | Long delayed » | Fallout » 

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 

The dream is sweeter than the taste

I've never read any of Seth's work, but the interview the Onion AV Club has with him this week is good stuff nonetheless. The part that really struck me is short enough to excerpt in full:

AV Club: Along those same lines, the sections in Wimbledon Green having to do with the hero's favorite old comic, Fine & Dandy, have kind of a tenuous connection—in spirit, at least—to Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

Seth: That would be a complete coincidence. [Laughs.] I've never read any of it. Tell me why.

AVC: Busiek sets his Astro City stories on the fringes of old superhero stories. He's referencing big DC and Marvel story arcs, and adjusting the details so that they're part of his invented world. But he's not telling those old stories, he's just mentioning them in passing, which makes them more compelling. Sort of like how the idea of Jack Kirby is more romantic than actually sitting down and reading a bunch of old Jack Kirby comics.

S: I think I see what you mean.

AVC: When you describe the contents of those Fine & Dandy comics in
Wimbledon Green, you make them sound much more magical and fun than they might be if they really existed.

S: Well, part of me was thinking of John Stanley when I was writing that section.

AVC:
Little Lulu?

S: Yeah, which is one of the few things of that sort that I think does kind of stand up. But I do understand what you mean. I think it's because of our childhood connection to comic books. Like Jack Kirby, for example. You're right, the work doesn't stand up to reading as an adult, but if you read it at the right age, it was profound. And that feeling lingers, even though you can't return to it any more.

I find that an interesting experience with a lot of those great old comics, that they were great at a certain age, but they operate more as metaphors in your later life. Reading Osamu Tezuka's
Phoenix is one of those experiences where I think, like, "Oh, if only I'd had this book when I was 14." Because even though I enjoy it, it's not the enjoyment that I could be getting out of it. There's like a profundity to it that would be the perfect profundity for a 14-year-old. It's just sort of an enjoyable experience for a 40-year-old. I think that's one of the great appeals of comics for me, when I think of them, to remember that experience. I tried to capture a bit of that in Wimbledon Green, of just how profound and meaningful these comic books can seem.

I think the point here extends to other media as well, of course.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates