« Home | Priorities » | "Irresponsible" » | Inerrancy » | Old Glory Insurance » | Equipment failure » | Reason #987 why I love the CBC » | I am the best seventeen-year-old ever » | Delicate balance » | WWDBD? » | Work radio dept. » 

Friday, December 30, 2005 

Got me so down, I got me a headache

Back in Kincardine for (at least part of) the New Year's festivities; the ride down was the first real testdrive of my new iPod Nano, a Christmas present from the parents. 2 gig, black naturally; "I used to be disgusted/Now I try to be amused" engraved on the back thanks to my dad, being both of course lines from the great "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello and also something I try to live up to.

It worked flawlessly, especially now that I've got a silicone sleeve to cover it (I kind of like the way it makes the iPod all chunky and rubbery on the outside). In addition to a folder called "Exercise" with around 280 songs for use at the gym I've got these albums stored on it right now:

Elbow - Asleep At The Back
Hefner - Breaking God's Heart
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Rachel Stevens - Come And Get It*
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs**
Animal Collective - Feels
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Global A Go-Go
Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
Jesu - Jesu
Low - Long Division
The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bullocks, Here's The Sex Pistols
Hood - Outside Closer
New Order - Power, Corruption And Lies
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
Constantines - Tournament Of Hearts
Luomo - Vocalcity
Magnolia Electric Co - What Comes After The Blues

*(great, great pop album - anyone who hasn't heard "Negociate With Love", "Nothing Good About This Goodbye" or "Dumb Dumb" needs to email me now)
**(As nature should have intended it; 9 tracks, minus the dumbass ending, the extra minutes of nothing on "Delta Sun Bottleneck Stomp" and all of the daft instrumentals except "Pick Up If You're There", because "Pick Up If You're There" is awesome)

Any way you slice it, that's a lot of music. I listened to Come And Get It first, in my dad's van, and it was great - if Amazon had gotten it to me in November when I ordered it, it would have definitely hit my top twenty, and I'm more than a little chagrined it didn't. From there I went to Vocalcity once we switched to my sister's car, and I was kind of surprised how "Market" felt very similar to some of the productions on Steven's album, albeit decompressed and without a strong vocal presence until many minutes in.

Unfortunately then my siblings decided to crank Meat Loaf's "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" and singing along like idiots, and while that's one of his better songs I wasn't in the mood. Ultimately Jesu at full blast was the only thing that would wall out that, Mr. Big's "To Be With You", Afroman (not even "Because I Got High", fer chrissake!), and my brother getting crunk to "Get Low", and it was hot and sludgy like my incipient rage (for a record with so much self-deprecation in its lyrics, Justin Broadrick sure yells them in a satisfyingly cathartic fashion).

Then we all got out of the very cramped car (which wasn't helping) and I felt in a much better mood immediately - just got back from delicious and enjoyable bar dinner with the siblings and am now listening to the Shins and doing crosswords. Out of the iPod hooked up to the computer of course - I may never carry CDs with me again.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates