« Home | Backlog » | That's a bad hat, Harry » | Bad law » | They used to float through like leaves » | (but with Jesus) » | Wha? » | Activity » | "Gail, the key to getting where you want to go is ... » | Listening and reading » | Flaws » 

Monday, December 05, 2005 

It begins

So today you'll find the first installment of our Top 50 Singles of the Year article, which is shaping up to be the best yet. I've seen the full list, and it's easily my favourite so far. I was going to do the blurb for one of our top ten, but I passed it on to someone (in my opinion) more qualified and who quite frankly I'd rather read on this particular song than me.

Also today, your customary dose of non-yearly singles. I'm really surprised I'm the only one of this week's group to like the Natasha Bedingfield single.

Mike Powell, however, wins for his line about Coldplay and ocean-going testicles.

I totally love that Natasha Bedingfield single. I choose to think she's being ironic when she pronounces it "hyper-bowl".

Or possibly British. Then again, I thought it was "hyper-bowl" when I was a little kid, so maybe she's secretly pulling a Charlize-Theron-on-Arrested-Development?

What do you think of "These Words"?

I agree with what you said at the site you linked to--the lyrics got me before the hook, they were the hook, being "just abstract enough" (think that's what you said) to be interesting. I loved it: a girly pop song about writing a girly pop song. Those Brits do pronounce some words oddly, but preliminary research (dictionary.com, wikipedia) didn't give me any alternate, correct pronunciations of hyperbole.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates