« Home | Work radio dept. » | Trains of Winnipeg » | Just can't help believing, though believing sees m... » | "Voting that is neither ritualistic nor random" » | They always come in twos » | News flashes » | Don't blame me, I voted Green » | New and improved » | I am bright and young and gifted in my autobiography » | "Some days I'm not necessarily proud of myself" » 

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 

Low impact

Meme yanked from the mighty Tom Ewing, because it's the first good one I've seen in ages. I'm feeling sick tonight, so rather than writing I'm just bumming around reading and relaxing.

What are you listening to right now: Joy Division - "Disorder". The first time I heard Unknown Pleasures, everything on it except for "She's Lost Control" seemed really lacking compared to Closer (which I had already owned for years and still think is one of the best albums ever made). Subsequent listens have revealed something wholly different from the other album but probably almost as good.

Turn to your left, look; what do you see: My wall mounted CD shelves, filled to overflowing.

What is your favourite sandwich filling: It's hard to beat a nice pink slice of leftover roast beef, but I have a special place in my heart for a kind of ham called gammon (I think), which is drier than normal sliced ham and tastes a lot better.

What was the last film you saw; did you like it: Robocop, down at the bar. I love it, of course. I loved it when I was a kid, but seeing it again now actually made me want to buy it. The whole time I was watching it I was thinking "if they made this movie today, they would have done such a poorer job on it". It's not perfect, but you can tell it's trying to be a good film, and that ups the quality level significantly. See also: the first Mad Max, Assault On Precinct 13, Night Of The Living Dead, etc, etc.

Tell me one song-or-album/book/film to check out: Sweet Billy Pilgrim, We Just Did What Happened And No-One Came. You can tell you really love an album when you can't quite imagine no-one else disliking it, even if it's not really their sort of thing.

Tell me one thing that means the world to you: Like Tom I will take "thing" for "object"; saying it means the world is a bit much, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this question was the small framed picture of my paternal grandparents I have in my room.

Where would you like to be right now: I'd love to visit Scotland again, or go to mainland Europe.

Cats or dogs or kill them both: Cats. By a significant margin.

What's the best compliment you've ever had (Post without context): I'm tempted to say the time a bunch of girls (including my girlfriend at the time) decided that I had the best ass out of a bunch of guys, or the time Todd Burns said he teared up a little at something I submitted to him, but really it was my Dad's reaction to the piece I wrote for the Ontarion when Joe Strummer died.

Hiyah Ian. I wanted to let you know I do read your blog every day but I'm not even close to comprehending the amount of cool music you reference, so I usually slink away. That said, you're a wonderful writer and so also thinks my mom. And I'm glad you posted this meme, though I don't believe Richard Dawkins exists.

Wow, thanks a lot (especially the mom thing, that's an incredible compliment).

Don't slink away! Music geekery isn't something to be proud of, or something other people should be abashed by. It's more like an unsavoury obsession, one we're all grateful people actually put up with. I haven't judged anybody by their taste in music since I was 18 or so (because that is a dumbass thing to do), and I certainly have plenty of friends who like very different stuff than I do.

And although I run the risk of sounding insincere, A List of Lists really is one of my favourite blogs. I sometimes check the feed even when it doesn't display any new entries. You're no slouch at this writing thing yourself, y'know.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates