« Home | Good day » | "Nappy times" » | Into the great wide open » | Voices » | Massive Attack should have won » | Go screw » | Shakey dog » | Adorable » | Head on » | Speak whenever you hear this tone » 

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 

How long must you wait for it?

It's been months (a year?) since I touched my copy of A Rush Of Blood To The Head; my last listen was incredibly disappointing, even though I used to love the record, and I'd been kind of avoiding it ever since. That, coupled with my belated appreciation for the fragility of Parachutes (I have zero interest in X & Y) meant I was assuming I'd eventually be getting rid of A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Well, at the prompting of someone else I brought the album into work today on my iPod (minus "Green Eyes", because really, why would I?) and I'm remembering how much I actually liked Chris Martin's voice before "Speed Of Sound" and "Talk" (and whatever other inescapable singles are coming our way); how much I go all mushy over "Warning Sign" and "The Scientist"; how much I really do love "A Whisper" (more than most actual Echo & The Bunnymen tracks, thanks). But mostly I'm realising for the first time, with the aid of hindsight, what a perfect balance between the bulk of Parachutes and the bulk of A Rush Of Blood To The Head "In My Place" achieves.

Media image aside, these guys have actually made some good records. I have little hope for the future, though.

Hi. my name's Kate. And I was a Parachutes-era Coldplay junkie.








Hi, Kate!

Oh god, I'm not alone!

Seriously, though - "Trouble"? "Sparks"? "Shiver"? "We Never Change"? To say nothing of "Yellow". Great album. Nice cover, too.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates