« Home | Hard at work » | So I just watched the Oscars.... » | Information spaces » | There is always room for one more custard pie » | Clogging inboxes everywhere » | "We dance just as good as we walk" » | Bizarrely immersive » | “He was an uncomfortable man" » | Swapping your blood with formaldehyde » | We live in cities now » 

Monday, March 06, 2006 

Indie fuxxor

So I got more excited about receiving the upcoming Hefner best of in the mail this morning than I have about mail in quite a while. And that's kind of surprising, given that I've just received an excellent mix from Jeff Worrell and a few other things. But Hefner are just one of those bands that I am not only ridiculously fond of but that is generally disparaged. As much as I think there are plenty of things wrong with what might be called the indie mindset, I don't think wonderful music should be shunned just because it happens to fall into that category. Looking at the track listing, this is about as good a best of as I could have hoped for (it's got "Another Better Friend"! And "Lee Remick"! And "Painting And Kissing"! And "When The Angels Play Their Drum Machines"! And "I Love Only You", fer chrissakes! No "Destroyed Cowboy Falls", but I'll live). Britain's Largest Small Band (1996-2002) deserve more than just a few snide jokes, but given that the compilation is on an even smaller label than Hefner were on for the duration, I'm afraid the re-evaluation will probably be limited to me writing about it in Stylus.

Oh dear, and this happens to be a day I'm wearing my Belle & Sebastian t-shirt, too. My credibility is totally shot, isn't it?



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates